In 1917, the voters of Texas, recognizing the necessity of developing and conserving the State’s water resources and inspired by devastating floods of 1913 and 1914, passed a Constitutional amendment allowing the Legislature to create special purpose political subdivisions of the State to serve regional areas, generally coincidental with river basins and to be generally known as river authorities.
SARA, created in 1937, is one of many such active river authorities in the State of Texas. Its jurisdiction covers 3,658 square miles—all of Bexar, Wilson, Karnes and Goliad Counties.
- We are passionately committed to the preservation, protection and sustainability of the San Antonio River Watershed.
- We are committed to making the river safe, healthy and enjoyable.
- We, working with our partners, pioneer innovative solutions that sustain and enrich the lives of the people in the Communities we serve.
- We are quick to respond, open to new ways of doing things and dedicated to delivering valued public service.
- We are not complacent, do not alter from our values, nor lose sight of our purpose and vision.
- We are accountable to the Board of Directors, Citizens and Stakeholders of the communities we serve, and to our Partners and entrusted to efficiently use limited public resources.
- We are honest and reliable in our dealings with others.
- We base our decisions on prudent financial management and sound scientific/engineering principles and practices.
- We do not misrepresent facts, distort research, our capabilities, or expertise.
- We are committed to collaborative, adaptive, and strategic actions that address watershed issues and priorities.
- We expect the best from ourselves, learn from our experiences and continuously strive to advance our capabilities.
- We do not make excuses or avoid responsibility for our actions.
- Generate lasting and recognized improvements to the health and safety of the San Antonio River Watershed.
- Enhance community appreciation for and access to the San Antonio River and its tributaries.
- Strengthen, develop and anticipate expertise at all levels and build employee dedication to our vision and values.
- Explore, diversify and leverage funding sources.
- Influence, through our expertise, sustainable watershed solutions by balancing the environmental, economic and quality of life needs of our communities.
- Expand public and private partnerships.