San Antonio River Authority logo

Real Estate


Landowners Bill of Rights

Declaracion de los Derechos de Propiertarios

Engineering Review Requirements for Overhead Line Crossings

Engineering Review Requirements for Pipeline Crossings of Streams

Survey Standards

Land Use Application

Trail Closure Procedures

Land Use Procedure at Flood Retarding Dams

Land Use in the San Antonio River Watershed

The San Antonio River Authority owns the beds and banks along the San Antonio River, its creeks and tributaries. This area lies mostly in SARA’s four county district of Bexar, Wilson, Karnes and Goliad counties. However, a portion of the San Antonio River extends into Refugio and Victoria counties. SARA also has jurisdiction of the river in this area until the river reaches its confluence with the Guadalupe River.

The San Antonio River Authority has jurisdiction as legislated by the Texas State Legislature, as prescribed in Chapter 276, page 556 of the Acts of the 45th legislature. To read the legislation enabling the San Antonio River Authority Click here.

SARA conveys land rights for both public and private projects which involve real estate owned or controlled by SARA.

River and Creek Crossings

The San Antonio River Authority is title holder for the entire beds and banks of the San Antonio River and its creeks and tributaries. In order to receive a temporary or permanent easement to cross the river or a creek, a land use application must be submitted. This packet must contain:

  • The completed Land Use Application
  • Project Description Page
  • Vicinity Map of Project Area
  • Certified Survey with Metes & Bounds & Plan/Profile Drawing
  • Methods of Environmental Protection (spills, maintenance, etc.)
  • Administrative Fee (only checks made payable to the San Antonio River Authority are accepted)

The completed application is then submitted to SARA for review and consideration and may need approval from SARA’s Board of Directors. The applicant will be advised of all corresponding fees at the time of submission. Click here for an Administrative Fee Schedule.

SARA Properties for Lease or Sale

Occasionally, property that SARA owns is declared surplus and is made available for lease or sale. A Request for Proposal (RFP) will be issued to obtain bids for the lease of the property. All SARA RFP’s can be viewed here.

Joint Use Agreements

Joint Use Agreements administered by SARA allow SARA to monitor new developments in easement and other SARA real estate interest areas. Both public and private organizations must apply for Joint Use Agreements.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does SARA have jurisdiction over and why?
How do I find out if SARA has jurisdiction over a certain tributary of the San Antonio River in Bexar, Wilson, Karnes and Goliad counties?
Are multiple lines accepted in the same crossing?
What are your casing requirements?
What does a completed application packet need to contain?
How far in advance does the application need to be submitted?
Does an environmental report need to be attached to the application?
What exactly are you looking for in a certified survey of the installation site?
Does SARA accept credit card payments?