Land Use in the San Antonio River Basin

The San Antonio River Authority owns the beds and banks along the San Antonio River, its creeks and tributaries. This area lies mostly in SARA’s four county district of Bexar, Wilson and Goliad counties. However, a portion of the San Antonio River extends into Refugio and Victoria counties. SARA also has jurisdiction of the river in this area until the river reaches its confluence with the Guadalupe River.

SARA conveys land rights for both public and private projects which involve real estate owned or controlled by SARA.

River and Creek Crossings

The San Antonio River Authority is title holder for the entire beds and banks of the San Antonio River and its creeks and tributaries. In order to receive a temporary or permanent river or creek crossing, a Land Use Application must be completed. This packet must contain:

The completed application is then submitted to SARA for review and consideration. The applicant will be advised of all corresponding fees at the time of submittal. Click here for an administrative fee schedule.

Lease Properties

Occasionally, property that SARA owns is declared surplus and is made available for lease. A Request for Proposal (RFP) will be issued to obtain bids for the lease of the property. All SARA RFP's can be viewed here.

Click for a Land Use Application

Joint Use Agreements

Joint Use Agreements administered by SARA allow SARA to monitor new developments in easement and other SARA real estate interest areas. Both public and private organizations may apply for Joint Use Agreements.

Click for a Land Use Application